Saturday, January 12, 2013

Snow Days

Living in Winnipeg, snow storms are common. Even in the month of May. The last few years we have been fortunate. There haven't really been any major blizzards. This year, so far, we have had 2 major snow falls. Not quite shut the city down blizzards, but pretty nasty weather.

 This year I was facing winter with out my husband to help dig me out.He does construction, and was working out of town for 3 weeks at a time. Sure enough, while he was gone, I was snowed in, with 5 children. Not a pleasant thought. I could handle this many ways. Cry, hire someone to the shovelling for me, or do it my self. I decided it was an opportunity to teach my boys how to do a job right. My oldest 2 boys are 9 and 8. They are hard workers, and their Dad has been getting their help in previous years with the shovelling  although, it was more work for him then help up to now.

So, we dug down deep, and kept our walk ways and driveway clean all on our own. I even received the best complement. A friend of mine popped by and assumed my husband was back in town because the walk way was cleared so well. It was all the work of my boys, not my husband.

Yesterday morning, I was told that schools were shut down out of town already. Since we home school,  weather has never effected us. I am very thankful for that fact. yesterday here in the city was windy, but now too bad. Of course, the snow still came. This is what I woke up to:




And this is what my 8 and 9 year old boys did:





This was all their own muscle. I only encouraged and coached a wee little bit. 
I couldn't be more proud of my boys!


17 comments:

  1. I love the snow. The kids did a great job shoveling..

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is awesome! you and your husband are doing a great job teaching your children good values and work ethic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely! You're a great mom! Now stay warm and toasty with all that snow outside. I'm spoiled here in California :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. ooh, snow everywhere. i would love to experience them someday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a lot of snow up there. Here in BC what we have is lot of rain and it seldom snow.

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh yes...snow snow snow. One day I hope to move south so I don't have to wake up to that anymore. ;) Way to go boys!! Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's way more snow than we get in Missouri, but we get snow days called for a dusting. It's silly!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow that is a lot of snow. I am in SC and I have never seen anything like that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My family loves playing in the snow. Great photos! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. My kids have never played in snow - it looks like so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  11. We don't get a lot of snow here in TN but we love it when we do. Kudos to the kiddos for shoveling!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can't even imagine that much snow =) I've always been in Florida. Look at those hard working kids that's just AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete
  13. We've had some good snowfall here in Indiana. Love it! I'm happy I can stay home though I would hate to have to get out in it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love how pretty the snow looks before it's walked in. How great that your boys helped shovel! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love snow too. Your photos are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, I live in South Texas so I have only seen snow like this on vacation. My kids would be so crazy about it. Your kids did a great job, that looks like a lot of work.

    ReplyDelete