Thursday, January 24, 2013

Thrifty Thursdays: Meat Balls

I am a busy mom. I home school 4 of my kids, and my youngest daughter is disabled. I have days where I am running all over with appointments, and totally forget about supper. Don't all Mom's have days like that? What is the normal reaction? Take Out. Unhealthy, quick, convenient, expensive Take Out.

I was getting sick of days like that. Days I forgot to take the meat out the night before so I could use my slow cooker. Days where money was tight, so supper would be late because I had to wait to cook until I got home.

Solution? Freezing pre-cooked ground beef. This has been a life saver for me. Each pay day I buy a large pack of ground beef. I alternate between frying up the beef, and freezing it, and making a giant batch of meat balls. This week was a meat ball week.

I figure, meat balls take the same amount of time to cook no matter how big of a batch, so I am saving money in my baking time too! Only 1 round in the oven, rather than 4.

Now I have bags of frozen beat balls ready to use at any time. Way cheaper than buying the boxes of pre-cooked ones, and just as convenient! Just take them out in the morning, throw in some sauce, and re-heat. Supper is served!





3 comments:

  1. We love making tons of meatballs at once. My son is totally addicted to them. Great time saver.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea! I'm going to start doing that! My son gets sad when we have "plain spagetti" lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a great idea! I really need to do more of this. My daughter loves to cook for us, but she is starting college in the fall. She'll still be at home, but I am sure she'll have a ton of homework and no time to cook!

    ReplyDelete