Friday, April 26, 2013

Kids Crafts For Mother's Day

I am not a crafty person, I admit it. But with 5 children, I need to make more of an effort to start crafts. They love it, it's great for their fine motor skills, and I boosts their self confidence. So I figured with Mother's Day right around the corner, now is a good time to start.

I know that Mom's are supposed to get Mother's day off, but let's face it. If you have small children, it's kind of hard to take the day off. And how can your little one go and buy you a gift right? Well, we can help them make a gift for Grandma, and the better they get at it, the better chance they will make you one next year! Or, if you are really lucky, they will pester Dad to help them.

This year, I want my kids to make a Mother's Day gift for their Oma, my husband's mom. So we are making tissue paper flowers. This is an easy craft perfect for school aged children.

What You Need

  • tissue paper
  • pipe cleaners
  • scissors
  • green construction paper
  • glue
Assembly

Fold the tissue paper stack in an accordion style, like you would if you were making a paper fan.  












Next, cut the ends of the tissue paper rounding them off. This gives your flowers the petals. 

Take your pipe cleaner and wrap the end around the middle of your stack of tissues. Secure it tightly.
Now you can open your folds of paper. Depending on the age of your child, you might need to help them a bit, but this is a great dexterity exercise for young ones, and that helps the fine motor skills! Even if they say they can't encourage them to try. This step worked best with my 9 year old. 




Take your green construction paper and cut out leaves.  We omitted the leaves because I am using a vase.
Glue your leaves onto the pipe cleaner stems, and viola! A tissue flower.


    I placed all the flowers in a dollar store vase, and now we have a perfect gift for Mother's Day!




1 comments:

  1. How fun! I may have to try this with my little guys! :)

    ReplyDelete