Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Thrifty Thursday's: Changing Up Your Normal

Trying to live on a tight budget can be challenging. It's easy to meal plan with plain ingredients, but after a while, you start to get sick of having the same meals day after day. This can lead to splurging on take out, or extra super market trips to by some new supper ideas. Boring can lead to expensive!
This week I wanted to introduce you to some ways to dress up you mash potatoes.


Snazzy Parsnip Mashed Potatoes

Ingredients:
  • 2 large potatoes for each person pealed and diced
  • 1 parsnip for every 2 potatoes pealed and diced
  • 3 cloves of garlic
  • Caesar salad dressing
  • Butter to taste
  • 1/2 -1 cup milk
Super easy change to regular potatoes. Boil vegetables until tender. Drain and mash with remaining ingredients. I like to use my mixer to whip them up to be super creamy. 
The bad part of this recipe? I need to always have parsnips in the house now! The family requests this variation all the time now!





11 comments:

  1. MMmmm these look good enough to eat! My son loves mashed potatoes so this looks like a good change on my standard recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea! My husband always bulks at the thought of potatoes for dinner but loves mashed! Adding a parsnip is a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never used parsnip but I have used cauliflower - mashed potatoes are delicious and I usually make them for Synday's dinner

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love mad potatoes those mash potatoes looks so good

    ReplyDelete
  5. This does sound good! I love parsnips, but the rest of the family doesn't agree...this might be a way to get them to eat them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never eaten parsnip before in my life, this look yummy though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are like a spicy carrot! I love them :)

      Delete
  7. I have never had parsnips. Always sounded gross to me. I love being budget friendly though and it's always nice to sneek in an extra veggie. These sound so good. I will have to try it but test it on the fam w/out their knowledge first...lol. I like your idea of using the mixer to fluff it up. Nice tip!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have never tried parsnips in potatoes... what a great idea! Can't wait to try...

    ReplyDelete